Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Beginning.

I wouldn't really consider myself an avid writer, though I have a file of my writing that is getting pretty large.  I don't often refer back to it but when I do I am always amazed by what I gain from it.  I find that in writing I gain clarity from putting my thoughts on paper that I can’t get any other way. 

For the past few months I have debated whether I should start a blog or if I should just continue to write my thoughts into a word document that will be filed away.  I have historically avoided making these thoughts public. But, lately I have had a change of heart. As I have become more involved in professional development on Twitter I find that the thoughts of others and how they deal with the daily troubles of teaching are very important to me.  I first began by looking for resources, then I began to appreciate the passionate conversations about teaching with people who feel the way that I do about the job.  Recently I have started to read more blogs. 

I often find that the things that I like the best about a blog are small throw away comments that I connect with or that provide me with insight.  I have really grown as a teacher and as a person for reading and considering these essays and the people who wrote them.  It was at this point that I felt (as I did with Twitter) that it was time to start giving as much as I take. 

I hope that over time a blog will serve as a chance to reflect on what I am doing and what I have done.  The more I record what I do, the more I find that I can avoid mistakes, make meaningful lessons and then share them with others.

I am realistic about the fact that I cannot write every day.  I am a busy person, and tend to be unhappy when I am not.  Yet I like what I am doing to count and I think that in this case writing can make what I am doing count for much more.

After 17 years of teaching I have decided that in the classroom, the best that I can offer to the world is to get my students ready to learn. In class I get them ready to learn by creating an environment that rewards learning but also by teaching them the skills they need to do so.   When a student is overwhelmed by life, I get them ready to learn by showing compassion, listening and then making my lesson relevant to their lives today. (This is actually a policy of mine, if they ever challenge me about why a lesson matters to them today and I can’t give them a solid answer, the lesson is over and they get a free day. It forces them to look for the connection.)

I find now that if I want to be a really good teacher I have to do the same thing for myself.  I have to be ready to learn.  New facts, new methods, new technology, regardless of what it may be, I cannot close my mind to where the world and my students are going.  I need to be ready to help them get there.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Shawn! You have touched upon why a lot of educators are on Twitter. We share a passion for teaching and we want the best for our students and their future.

    Finding the time to write and make it public is taxing but in the long run very rewarding.

    Thanks for sharing with me on a daily basis. You, sir, have made me a better teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I find that in writing I gain clarity from putting my thoughts on paper that I can’t get any other way." that is so well said! I could not agree more. I go back and forth about blogging about my life- education, running and stuff I want to share. I feel writing is such a powerful tool.

    I like the idea of sharing as much as you take- definitley making me think. Nice job Twitter Buddy!
    Heather (irishteach)

    ReplyDelete